Home Mods Forum Explore Log In Sign Up
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: How to make a detailed map using Google Earth and SketchUp Tutorial  (Read 3806 times)
Gold Medal ClikIre
Joined April 2012

« on: April 18, 2012, 05:30:20 pm »

How to make a detailed map using Google Earth and SketchUp Tutorial

This is tutorial is an extension of the tutorial by Sim3.09S How To Get Map Terrain From Google Sketchup [TUT].   As well as using the height map data it also uses the image map to add detail such as roads, field boundaries, farm yards etc. As we will see later it is not even necessary to use a Google Earth map, any correctly sized image will work.

I recommend also reading Sim3.09S's tutorial as it is more detailed than mine

This tutorial was created using Windows Vista.

Things needed:
- Google Sketchup 8
- Paint.NET or some other image editing program such as Gimp, PhotoShop etc
- Terrain Plugin for Google SKetchUp

It's best to create a new folder before you start and use this for the SketchUp and image files we create. This way it's easier to copy over the files to the Mods map folder as required. I created this folder in my Documents and named it FarmMap

In SketchUp:
Delete the lady
Google ToolBar > Add Location - Select the location you want and Grab it
Google ToolBar > Toggle Terrain - This displays the terrain rather than the image
Camera Menu > untick Perspective

At this point I do things slightly different than Sim3.09S. When I created the height map it had a lot of blue areas which GE interprets as being at or below sea level and some of the map was covered in water when it should not have been. To over come this I raise the Google image up on the blue axis to about 150 meters which is roughly the altitude of the real map.

Camera Menu > Standard Views > Front
Orbit slightly to see the image
Right Click Image > Unlock
Use the move tool to move the image up about 150 Meters on the blue axis (this may be a different height in your case)
Right Click image > Lock

Camera Menu > Standard Views > Top
Click Zoom Extents to get a full image in the screen
Plugins > Model to HeightMap
Select - HeightMap -Color 8bits BMP, Mask - Green (but experiment with this), Crop - Yes, Click OK
Saved this file in the folder we created at the start named FarmMap. I named the file "HeightBase"
Click save and then Yes
Be patient as it takes a bit of time to complete, there is a progress bar on the bottom left of your screen. Don't touch your computer while this is running.
Click OK when complete

It's very important at this stage not to move anything in SketchUp

Google ToolBar - Toggle Terrain - This displays the flat image rather than the terrain
File > Export > 2dGraphic... - Select the FarmMap folder - file name "ImageBase" -  Export type as .png - Export

In Paint.NET
File > Open - and located the HeightBase image

NOTE 1 - Make a note of the image size at the bottom of the screen, we will need this later. Mine was 669 x 638

Use the Rectangle Select Tool to select a square area from the top left. My area was 630 * 630.

Note 2 - be very careful were you start the selection as we will need to start in the exact same position later.
Note 3 - also make a note of the selection size i.e. 630 * 630 in my case

Press Ctrl+C to copy the selection
File > New  - untick Main Aspect Ratio and change the width and height to 630 or what ever area you selected
Press Ctrl+V to paste

At this point Sim3.09S flipped the image vertically. I'm not sure why he did that but I don't flip it.

Image > Resize - width and height = 1024
At this stage you may want to experiment with "Hue/Saturation" and/or "Brightness/Contrast"

File > Save As - locate the FarmMap folder - File name = "map01_dem_Height" - Save as type = PNG - Click save and select 8-Bit for Bit Depth - I also set Transparency threshold to 0 but I dont know if this matters - Click OK
Close the file

In Windows Explorer:
Unzip the Farming Simulator map that you are using. I'm using map_6_fruits
Copy "map01_dem_Height" into the map01 folder of your map 
Rename "map01_dem" to "map01_dem_Org" (although we probable wont need this map again)
Rename "map01_dem_Height" to "map01_dem"

In Giants Editor:
Open the map
I found that I had to go over the whole map with the Smooth tool with all options set to max.
When finish smoothing save and close the map

Adding in the detail

In Paint.Net:
File > Open - select the image file we created in SketchUp "ImageBase"

Use the Rectangle Selection tool to select all the coloured area of the image

Ctrl+C to copy
File > New
Ctrl+V to paste

Image > Resize - set the image to the size in Note 1- in my case 669 x 638
Use the Rectangle Selection tool to select an area starting at Note 2 and the same size as Note 3 - in my case 630 x 630

Ctrl+C to copy
File > New
Ctrl+V to paste

Image > Resize - 1024 *1024
File > Save - name it "ImageMaster.png"

Let's say there are roads on this map that we want to add to our Farming Simulator map
Press F8 to bring up the colour palette and select a deep red
Select the Paint Brush tool - paint over the roads - be generous with the brush size - I used brush width 12

File > Save As - name it "map01_dem_roads" in our FarmMap folder

In Windows Explorer:
Copy the file we just saved "map01_dem_roads" into our map01 folder
Rename "map01_dem" to "map01_dem_height"
Rename "map01_dem_roads" to "map01_dem"

In Giants Editor:
Open your map
You should be able to find your roads sitting up above the rest of the terrain
Paint the asphalt texture onto the roads
Save and close

Windows Explorer:
In the map01 folder
Delete "map01_dem_roads"
Rename "map01_dem_height" to "map01_dem"

In Farming Simulator:
Start a new farm with the map we have created.
Your new terrain should be there with its roads.

Conclusion:
Using the "ImageMaster" file you can now add in other features such as boundaries, farm yards etc. Then use File > Save As to save the new image and copy it into map01 as above. I found that it's best to concentrate on one feature at a time as it can get confusing other wise.

This technique is not limited to Google Earth images; it should be possible to add detail from any correctly sized image. Also, it should be possible to start with a blank image and draw out a map by using colours wisely and then use this map in GE to add the detail.

I have only been playing around with this for about a day and I still haven't fully mastered getting the terrain to match the real world fully. This may be because the Google Earth data isn't accurate enough or it may that be this whole process needs further tweaking.

1x Gold Medal

johndeereboy16
Joined March 2012

« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2012, 03:54:14 pm »

Where did you get you terrain plugin

Thanks vasilisg7
Regular
Joined July 2011

« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2013, 01:20:15 pm »

How to make a detailed map using Google Earth and SketchUp Tutorial

This is tutorial is an extension of the tutorial by Sim3.09S How To Get Map Terrain From Google Sketchup [TUT].   As well as using the height map data it also uses the image map to add detail such as roads, field boundaries, farm yards etc. As we will see later it is not even necessary to use a Google Earth map, any correctly sized image will work.

I recommend also reading Sim3.09S's tutorial as it is more detailed than mine

This tutorial was created using Windows Vista.

Things needed:
- Google Sketchup 8
- Paint.NET or some other image editing program such as Gimp, PhotoShop etc
- Terrain Plugin for Google SKetchUp

It's best to create a new folder before you start and use this for the SketchUp and image files we create. This way it's easier to copy over the files to the Mods map folder as required. I created this folder in my Documents and named it FarmMap

In SketchUp:
Delete the lady
Google ToolBar > Add Location - Select the location you want and Grab it
Google ToolBar > Toggle Terrain - This displays the terrain rather than the image
Camera Menu > untick Perspective

At this point I do things slightly different than Sim3.09S. When I created the height map it had a lot of blue areas which GE interprets as being at or below sea level and some of the map was covered in water when it should not have been. To over come this I raise the Google image up on the blue axis to about 150 meters which is roughly the altitude of the real map.

Camera Menu > Standard Views > Front
Orbit slightly to see the image
Right Click Image > Unlock
Use the move tool to move the image up about 150 Meters on the blue axis (this may be a different height in your case)
Right Click image > Lock

Camera Menu > Standard Views > Top
Click Zoom Extents to get a full image in the screen
Plugins > Model to HeightMap
Select - HeightMap -Color 8bits BMP, Mask - Green (but experiment with this), Crop - Yes, Click OK
Saved this file in the folder we created at the start named FarmMap. I named the file "HeightBase"
Click save and then Yes
Be patient as it takes a bit of time to complete, there is a progress bar on the bottom left of your screen. Don't touch your computer while this is running.
Click OK when complete

It's very important at this stage not to move anything in SketchUp

Google ToolBar - Toggle Terrain - This displays the flat image rather than the terrain
File > Export > 2dGraphic... - Select the FarmMap folder - file name "ImageBase" -  Export type as .png - Export

In Paint.NET
File > Open - and located the HeightBase image

NOTE 1 - Make a note of the image size at the bottom of the screen, we will need this later. Mine was 669 x 638

Use the Rectangle Select Tool to select a square area from the top left. My area was 630 * 630.

Note 2 - be very careful were you start the selection as we will need to start in the exact same position later.
Note 3 - also make a note of the selection size i.e. 630 * 630 in my case

Press Ctrl+C to copy the selection
File > New  - untick Main Aspect Ratio and change the width and height to 630 or what ever area you selected
Press Ctrl+V to paste

At this point Sim3.09S flipped the image vertically. I'm not sure why he did that but I don't flip it.

Image > Resize - width and height = 1024
At this stage you may want to experiment with "Hue/Saturation" and/or "Brightness/Contrast"

File > Save As - locate the FarmMap folder - File name = "map01_dem_Height" - Save as type = PNG - Click save and select 8-Bit for Bit Depth - I also set Transparency threshold to 0 but I dont know if this matters - Click OK
Close the file

In Windows Explorer:
Unzip the Farming Simulator map that you are using. I'm using map_6_fruits
Copy "map01_dem_Height" into the map01 folder of your map 
Rename "map01_dem" to "map01_dem_Org" (although we probable wont need this map again)
Rename "map01_dem_Height" to "map01_dem"

In Giants Editor:
Open the map
I found that I had to go over the whole map with the Smooth tool with all options set to max.
When finish smoothing save and close the map

Adding in the detail

In Paint.Net:
File > Open - select the image file we created in SketchUp "ImageBase"

Use the Rectangle Selection tool to select all the coloured area of the image

Ctrl+C to copy
File > New
Ctrl+V to paste

Image > Resize - set the image to the size in Note 1- in my case 669 x 638
Use the Rectangle Selection tool to select an area starting at Note 2 and the same size as Note 3 - in my case 630 x 630

Ctrl+C to copy
File > New
Ctrl+V to paste

Image > Resize - 1024 *1024
File > Save - name it "ImageMaster.png"

Let's say there are roads on this map that we want to add to our Farming Simulator map
Press F8 to bring up the colour palette and select a deep red
Select the Paint Brush tool - paint over the roads - be generous with the brush size - I used brush width 12

File > Save As - name it "map01_dem_roads" in our FarmMap folder

In Windows Explorer:
Copy the file we just saved "map01_dem_roads" into our map01 folder
Rename "map01_dem" to "map01_dem_height"
Rename "map01_dem_roads" to "map01_dem"

In Giants Editor:
Open your map
You should be able to find your roads sitting up above the rest of the terrain
Paint the asphalt texture onto the roads
Save and close

Windows Explorer:
In the map01 folder
Delete "map01_dem_roads"
Rename "map01_dem_height" to "map01_dem"

In Farming Simulator:
Start a new farm with the map we have created.
Your new terrain should be there with its roads.

Conclusion:
Using the "ImageMaster" file you can now add in other features such as boundaries, farm yards etc. Then use File > Save As to save the new image and copy it into map01 as above. I found that it's best to concentrate on one feature at a time as it can get confusing other wise.

This technique is not limited to Google Earth images; it should be possible to add detail from any correctly sized image. Also, it should be possible to start with a blank image and draw out a map by using colours wisely and then use this map in GE to add the detail.

I have only been playing around with this for about a day and I still haven't fully mastered getting the terrain to match the real world fully. This may be because the Google Earth data isn't accurate enough or it may that be this whole process needs further tweaking.

how did you find the terrain plugin?

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: