[WIP] Black Mountain, Montana Map (FS17)

Seen 685 times - 0 Members and 1 Guest are currently viewing this thread

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Hoot
MVP
Joined January 2012

« on: February 26, 2017, 12:27:27 am »

Hi,  I have been working on a new map for FS-17 that uses real world terrain from where I live near Missoula Montana in the Northwestern U.S.  This is mountainous terrain which is heavily forested.   This makes the focus of my map forestry.   There is some flat land in the Northeast corner of the map for a little farm land though.  This area is called the Big Flat and is where I live in the real world.   The rest of the map to the Southwest is all mountains and forests.  It will make for some challenging but rewarding logging in farming simulator just like it does in real life.

Here is the current PDA image with the main features of the map annotated on it:

Click on the image to view the full size:

There are 8 small fields with the sizes in hectares indicated in red.  Two fields near the player farm are owned by the player at the start of a new career.  The pig's enclosure, dairy cow's pasture and chicken coop are also near the player farm.  The sheep's pasture is up in the Northwest corner of the map.  That area is the base of Sherman Gulch on the map.

There is a farmer sell point in Sherman Gulch also.  That is Wright's Agribusiness and they buy grain and root crops.  To the east in the North center of the map is Mary's Farm.  That farm manages the tree farm and also has a large vegetable garden.  They buy manure and liquid manure to use as fertilizer for the plants and trees. The sawmill is near the center of the map at the junction of Marten and Little Marten Gulches.  That is the sell point for logs and wood chips. 

All of the other sell points are to the Northeast and are indicated by numbers 1-7 on the above image.
1. Livestock Exchange
2. Grain Elevator (sell point for grain and root crops)
3. Spinnery (sell point for wool)
4. Biomass Heating Plant (sell point for wood chips)
5. Bakery (sell point for grain and root crops)
6. Gas Station
7. Equipment Dealer

The two logging camps to the Southwest and Southeast have gas station triggers.  Those areas are where the best timber is on the map.  That is up high in the mountains and it will be challenging to haul the logs down to the sawmill from there.  The highest peak is Black Mountain and that is where the map get it's name.  The peak is snow covered and the higher ground to the Southeast also has snow.

Below are some screenshots.  Click on any image to view it in full size.

The player farm and cow's pasture:

The sheep's pasture:

The livestock exchange, grain elevator and spinnery:

A logging road switch backing it's way up to Horseback Ridge to the Southeast:

I am currently testing out this map and adding some more details.  There are many more screenshots to show but that is enough (or too much Embarrassed) for one post.

Thank you for viewing my WIP,

Hoot

flatlander84
500+
Joined June 2014
Da Cubs, Da Bears.
United States United States

« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2017, 03:08:36 am »

That looks quite amazing.  Nice work, look forward to seeing it!

WIP Diemer Family Farm
Bringing life to central Illinois.
Chaseydog
Regular
Joined October 2014

« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2017, 04:01:32 am »

Looks like you've really captured the feel of the American  North West. Looking forward to seeing your map.

Nagce Valley map development www.chaseydog.net
Hoot
MVP
Joined January 2012

« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2017, 04:32:56 am »

Thanks a lot Chaseydog and Flatlander84.

Here is the view from the top of Black Mountain. 

In the real world there is not a lookout on Black Mountain, but there is one on another mountain about 4 miles to the south.  Since Giants had that realistic lookout from the default map I decided to put it on Black Mountain.

Here is an overlook on Sherman Point.

Again there is not a picnic area there in the real world, but it is a realistic feature that fits the map well.

Hauling my first load of logs down from the Horseback ridge logging camp.

It takes a bit of concentration safely driving a heavy load of logs down that road just like it does in the real world.

Here is another logging road coming down off the middle ridge into Marten Gulch:

Timbojigs
Joined April 2011

« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2017, 06:10:49 am »

This is probably my most anticipated map to date. I've been watching the progress and it looks awesome
Hoot
MVP
Joined January 2012

« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2017, 12:42:13 am »

This is probably my most anticipated map to date. I've been watching the progress and it looks awesome

Thank you Timbojigs,  this is mostly a forestry map so interest in it will be limited to guys like you who enjoy logging and hauling.

Today I have been testing out the map some more.  I have completed NPC missions for each field not owned by the player.  That all seems to work okay.  Now I bought all of the fields and am testing hired worker performance for each field.  I will run each field through at least two planting to harvest cycles with different crops to make sure there are no problems.

Hired workers cultivating and seeding in field 3:

I have already tested all of the animal zones.  Here is a picture of me selling a load of slurry from the cow's pasture at the tree farm sell point:

Hauling a load of sheep from the livestock exchange to the sheep's pasture:

This is not a very good road, but it isn't in real life either.  I am still considering whether to improve the road or leave it.

Nestoche
Joined May 2016

« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2017, 01:51:47 am »

Thank You Hoot for taking the time and effort in creating your map and sharing it with the community.  I am looking forward to playing it!
Hoot
MVP
Joined January 2012

« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2017, 02:08:22 am »

Thank You Hoot for taking the time and effort in creating your map and sharing it with the community.  I am looking forward to playing it!

Thank you for your interest in my map Nestoche Smiley.  That is what makes me want to share it.  I really enjoy map making and using the Giants editor.  I have built dozens of maps for myself for farming simulator.  This is the first one that I have felt is worth sharing.  The difference now is with the forestry side of FS I can make a real map based on where I live.  That makes for a much more interesting map in my opinion.  We will see what the final result is like though.

Timbojigs
Joined April 2011

« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2017, 04:26:47 am »

The best way to move a log skidder off of Black Mountain.
Hoot
MVP
Joined January 2012

« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2017, 04:38:15 am »

The best way to move a log skidder off of Black Mountain.

Well I guess that is one way to do it.  It does look like that skidder took a tumble down the mountain already though.  I think that logging road looks a little better than any of mine.  If that skidder isn't chained down solid it will probably take another tumble before it gets of the mountain.

And yes I guess the DOT does not mess with loggers.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2017, 04:42:03 am by Hoot » Logged

Timbojigs
Joined April 2011

« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2017, 04:57:24 am »

Yeah that's one of your logger friends from out around Big Sky, They said that it was a lot harder to unload than it was to get up there.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2017, 04:58:58 am by Timbojigs » Logged
Hoot
MVP
Joined January 2012

« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2017, 04:33:36 am »

Hi, I have completed testing the map.  Undoubtedly there are a few mistakes, but the log is error free and everything I have tested works okay.  I did find about a half dozen floating trees.  There are about 11,000 trees on the map so there are probably a few others that are misplaced that I didn't find.   

I took some time this evening to watch the sunset over Black Mountain.

Click on the image to enlarge it:

seriousmods
MVP
Joined February 2013
The Gallery Janitor

« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2017, 04:48:51 am »

Looks to be a fine map!

h3rich
Regular
Joined March 2015
Slovenia Slovenia

« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2017, 07:53:13 am »

Map looks awesome. I've been waiting for a map like this for a long time!
If you need any help finding those floating trees, just let me know.  Always happy to help.

Hoot
MVP
Joined January 2012

« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2017, 08:21:18 pm »

Thank you everyone.  I uploaded the map to FS-UK and it was approved this morning.
http://fs-uk.com/mods/view/38721/black-mountain-montana

The support topic is here:
http://fs-uk.com/forum/index.php?topic=193791

I took a little time this morning to put a small instruction manual into the first post in that support topic.  Hopefully that will answer some of the more basic questions that come up regarding game play on the map.   Still a map is a complex mod so I am sure that errors will still pop up or questions will arise.  That is why FS-UK automatically makes a support topic for every mod.

Thank's for the interest in my map,

Hoot

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Back Top of page