Home Mods Forum Chat Log In Sign Up
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  
Author Topic: advice on buying a case 4230 tractor??  (Read 9431 times)
Thanks aranbob
Regular
Joined September 2010

« on: September 01, 2011, 08:09:17 pm »

hi all,, neighnbour of mine is looking at a 1995 case 4230 4wd.. 5000hrs and in good nick. he has asked me for advice but i dont know much about them cases.
just wondering is there any serious common faults?? i heard about gearbox issues but is this true??
many many thanks Aran

Agree Danthefarmerboy
1000+
Joined June 2010

« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2011, 08:39:57 pm »

hi all,, neighnbour of mine is looking at a 1995 case 4230 4wd.. 5000hrs and in good nick. he has asked me for advice but i dont know much about them cases.
just wondering is there any serious common faults?? i heard about gearbox issues but is this true??
many many thanks Aran

hey, on our farm we operate a 4230 2wd with lp cab for muck scraping, they are brilliant tractors.

If you are planning on getting the LP (low profile) cab then you should look at the rubber stuff around the windows, the tend to peel off in time. if you are getting the XL cab model, wich i prefer, i think that there is not much wrong with it .

As for the gearbox, we havent had a problem with our 4230, it has been fine, no problems at all.

We use to operate a 4240XL with FL wich we sadly sold back in the spring and that was another brillaint tractor. the biggest repair wich we have ever done to it was the clutch.

I highly recomend these tractors, they are fantastic.

Regards, Dan
1x Thanks

A winner is a dreamer who never gives up - Nelson Mandela
Thanks aranbob
Regular
Joined September 2010

« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2011, 01:20:26 pm »

thanks very much for the info dan.. i dono where i heard about the gearbox i may have been mistaken.. is there any buyers guide for one??? checked internet but cant find any..

Agree Eddy
Flippin' legend
MVP
Joined March 2009
Jack of all trades, master of none.

« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2011, 04:44:16 pm »

We have a 4230 LP as well with a loader on, very good tractor with a lot of torque. Pulls our 1300 gallon tanker pretty easily. Is it a shuttle or splitter version? If its the shuttle version, beware of the clutch packs that operate the shuttle. We have just had ours done, cost around £350 to refurbish the clutch pack, we disassembled the tractor ourselves. Labour will be expensive on this because its quite a big job, and you'll get in there and find that you might as well replace a few other things while your in there. Also check the clutches, if they become too far gone then they take the flywheel with them and you'll have to get it skimmed. Also watch how it starts from cold, and if the thermostart works. Usually in winter ours needs about 10 pumps on the fuel filter housing to prime it, and then 10 seconds of heat. Only time it lets is down is when some idiot forgets to switch the key off... Other than that ours has been pretty good, some people say avoid them but I find they are a good tractor for the size, perhaps rivalling a 390 in some cases....

http://www.youtube.com/user/fcp223  Comment, rate, subscribe, enjoy!
Agree Danthefarmerboy
1000+
Joined June 2010

« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2011, 07:50:39 pm »

I agree with you Eddy Tongue And about starting on a cold morning, we dont have a lot of problems with our 4230, we just leave it to warm up ( turn the key so the dasboard lights apeer, but not the engine itself, if you see what i mean Smiley ) for a few seconds and of she goes. Smiley

A winner is a dreamer who never gives up - Nelson Mandela
Thanks aranbob
Regular
Joined September 2010

« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2011, 02:23:48 pm »

ok cool thanks lads thats a great help:)Smiley will be checking it out next week sometime anyways. thanks again
Aran

Gold Medal Ifan
The Case Expert!
Veteran
Joined February 2010
The Case expert!

« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2011, 06:20:26 pm »

nah wouldnt buy 1 coz we got a 4240 pro on the farm and in absoluctley hopples at pulling

http://www.youtube.com/user/ifanj5?feature=mhee Comment, Rate, Subscribe and Enjoy!
Agree NiallLod
Collies Owner
1000+
Joined January 2011

« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2011, 06:22:49 pm »

were talkin about a 4230

[/center][/img]
Gold Medal Ifan
The Case Expert!
Veteran
Joined February 2010
The Case expert!

« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2011, 06:32:36 pm »

its the same tractor

http://www.youtube.com/user/ifanj5?feature=mhee Comment, Rate, Subscribe and Enjoy!
Gold Medal Wiliam
The Welsh Legend
3000+
Joined May 2010
Ty Cerrig Agri.

« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2011, 06:33:34 pm »

its the same tractor
same thing but the 4240 has a bit more HP, think everything is the same thow !

Agree NiallLod
Collies Owner
1000+
Joined January 2011

« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2011, 06:33:59 pm »

with a diffrent sticker so theres somethin diffrent

[/center][/img]
Gold Medal Ifan
The Case Expert!
Veteran
Joined February 2010
The Case expert!

« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2011, 06:35:12 pm »

yeah but i dont like them,i prefer the maxxum

Gold Medal rh
NI Modding
Joined April 2009

« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2011, 06:49:14 pm »

I've driven a 4240 many times, xl cab has poor visibility. It is very bouncy on the road cause they are very short - they don't ride over bumps, just crashes into them. It is relatively torquey and has good power, but the overall feel of the tractor is rather "agricultural" for want of a better word - all the levers feels heavy and stiff to operate, compared to our 390T which is nearly car like in terms of ease of operation of controls. Of course a 300 series is expensive cause everybody wants one...

NI Modding - alwyn, henly20, knut, rh
Follow us on twitter: www.twitter.com/@ni_modding
Visit our website http://nimodding.wordpress.com
Gold Medal Ifan
The Case Expert!
Veteran
Joined February 2010
The Case expert!

« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2011, 06:58:52 pm »

still prefer the cases though.Not very keen of the mf

Gold Medal Wiliam
The Welsh Legend
3000+
Joined May 2010
Ty Cerrig Agri.

« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2011, 07:02:01 pm »

still prefer the cases though.Not very keen of the mf
Case and Massey are good tractor's, loved the old 300 series and the 6290, and love the 6490 of my uncle's you fall in love with them ! loved the old 5150's, especially ifanj's case as it had a strait exhaust Tongue but the new series aren't as good, and they aren't as good as the older one's... but did like the CVX's and MX's...

Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  

Jump to: