Home Mods Forum Explore Log In Sign Up
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6
  Print  
Author Topic: legal tractor driving age?  (Read 9814 times)
Agree lexion610
Regular
Joined July 2009

« on: March 16, 2010, 10:54:29 pm »

I am 13 (14 in summer) and I would like to know what machinery and implements i can drive this at these ages. (tractor, telehandler, combine?) (dad needs cheap labour)

if at first you don't succeed, destroy all evidence that you ever tried.
Agree Eddy
Flippin' legend
MVP
Joined March 2009
Jack of all trades, master of none.

« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2010, 10:58:08 pm »

If its a private family farm, I think its 13 in the fields you can be insured from. It would be dodgy if you had to make any claims though. Stick to simple things, nothing complex. If you want to drive on the road then it's 16 in the UK. You will need to take a Category F test in order to drive on the road.
1x Agree

http://www.youtube.com/user/fcp223  Comment, rate, subscribe, enjoy!
Agree robouk8484
1000+
Joined August 2009

« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2010, 11:01:53 pm »

If its a private family farm, I think its 13 in the fields you can be insured from. It would be dodgy if you had to make any claims though. Stick to simple things, nothing complex. If you want to drive on the road then it's 16 in the UK. You will need to take a Category F test in order to drive on the road.

yea your correct sir its 13 legally but under that its bit weird

but i don't no if it applies to England but over here in NI youngsters are encouraged to take a young drivers day and get given a certificate of proficiency and they can use that with the insurance on the farm of under 16

Gold Medal Johndeeredriver
Veteran
Joined March 2010
Git-r-done!

« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2010, 11:15:53 pm »

Here in the U.S. you can drive in the fields whenever but, on the road it's 16 to. Of course I live in a hicktown and you can do whatever..... Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

Agree Eddy
Flippin' legend
MVP
Joined March 2009
Jack of all trades, master of none.

« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2010, 11:28:41 pm »

Well, I suppose you can drive in the fields whenever here, but legally it's 13. I started doing light jobs like leading muck and spreading slurry when I was 9, but if I had crashed or injured myself, the insurance would not have paid up.

http://www.youtube.com/user/fcp223  Comment, rate, subscribe, enjoy!
Thanks luke-johndeere7810
Regular
Joined April 2009
if u aint got no smoke, u aint got no poke

« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2010, 11:33:15 pm »

u can drive on the road at 16 if u get a tractor license but u are limited to weight and width, but at 17 when u get your car license you can drive anything except a combine and twin track machine. you need a license in this country, really gay it is

sig by Alex7530
Funny DylanAlcorn
Massey Ferguson Enthusiast
1000+
Joined January 2010
Delila

« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2010, 11:37:43 pm »

y where u from

Hard work is never going to be easy...Thats why its called hard work.
Agree Mrfoodtester
1000+
Joined May 2009
In Memory of Steven 7/19/12

« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2010, 11:49:33 pm »

here its whenever u want in Florida I drive sometimes but i still get a tad nervous going up the road 

Good Advice newholland8360
Veteran
Joined September 2009
'tramper on driver..i say tramp her'.....

« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2010, 11:53:31 pm »

u can drive on the road at 16 if u get a tractor license but u are limited to weight and width, but at 17 when u get your car license you can drive anything except a combine and twin track machine. you need a license in this country, really gay it is

i think leagaly you still need a lorry licance to pull  bigger machiens! i dnt think my boss is leagal to pulll the mchale fusion on the road!! so he was sayen the other day!

Agree jka300
Veteran
Joined December 2009

« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2010, 11:58:21 pm »

Here in the U.S. you can drive in the fields whenever but, on the road it's 16 to. Of course I live in a hicktown and you can do whatever..... Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

We're the same here in Canada except I think you can drive a tractor on the road at any age, but not too sure.
I was already driving in the field when I was 6 and hauling bales on the road when I was 7.

Agree maximusgene
Joined March 2010
ScandinavianSoftwareDabblers - Admin

« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2010, 01:01:30 pm »

In Finland its 15.

Gold Medal rh
NI Modding
Joined April 2009

« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2010, 01:16:25 pm »

i think leagaly you still need a lorry licance to pull  bigger machiens! i dnt think my boss is leagal to pulll the mchale fusion on the road!! so he was sayen the other day!

From memory, you can drive a tractor and trailer up to about 24 tonnes as long as the tractor is less than a third of the weight. You might have to have the car plus trailer test though.

NI Modding - alwyn, henly20, knut, rh
Follow us on twitter: www.twitter.com/@ni_modding
Visit our website http://nimodding.wordpress.com
Funny Ford3600
500+
Joined December 2009
The Forums Paintball Expert

« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2010, 01:30:29 pm »

here in nova scotia canada u can drive on the road at 14 with a tractor have to get a tractors licence and when u turn 16 that tractors licence will be turned in to ya beginners

Need info about Paintball?? pm me

My Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/user/johnb32xq
Agree liamnh8560
500+
Joined April 2009

« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2010, 01:50:14 pm »

From memory, you can drive a tractor and trailer up to about 24 tonnes as long as the tractor is less than a third of the weight. You might have to have the car plus trailer test though.

A tractor test licences you to drive a tractor under 2.85m wide and under 7.5 ton. The legal limit in the uk for outfit load is like 24 ton and you can do that when you are 16. As long as the tractor is under 7.5 ton. The trailer also need to be a close coupling trailer (2 alxe silage trailers etc) but you cannot haul a dolly untill 17 or 18. A car licence is the same, it will allow you to drive any vehicle up to 7.5 ton..

That was the law when the farmers weekly last did a article on it!

http://www.youtube.com/user/liamlightmx?feature=mhw4  Best channel for average videos! Comment and subscribe!
Agree Shutesy1
Veteran
Joined May 2009

« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2010, 01:55:31 pm »

@newholland8360, your boss will be perfectly leagal to tow a mchale fusion on the road, unless its being pulled by a tractor weighing about 20 tonnes as a fusion weighs around 5700kg and the legal road weight limit for tractors and trailers or implements is just over 24 tonnes.
@jka300, im pretty sure ur speaking rubbish as there will definietly be a minimum driving age for driving a tractor on the road in canada. if u were driving a tractor and hauling bales on the road at 7 u were seriously breaking the law and your employer or family depending on where u were working could have incurred a huge fine if u were caught or had an accident. 6 and 7 is way way to young to be operating farm machinery especially on the road.

If you are working on a farm u should know what the minimum driving age is in the country u are working in and not drive on the road until u reach that age and pass a test if needed. even if your boss asks you to do it u should refuse as they have no right to make u drive on the road because u r a danger to other road users, no matter if youre 100 miles from the nearest town and never see anybody on the roads it is still a road!

In reply to the original poster lexion610 you can only drive a tractor and only in a field, not on the road however u can pretty much drive whichever tractor ur wanted to drive doin any job, although it will depend on experience. someone else will have to move the tractor on the road for you, for example between some fields. U cannot drive a telehandler, combine or any other self-proppelled machine such as forage harvester or sprayer.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2010, 01:59:10 pm by Shutesy1 » Logged

Intel Core 2 Quad Pro Q6600 2.40GHz
XFX ATI Radeon HD 4870 1024MB GDDR5
Biostar TPower I45 Intel P45 PCI-Express DDR2
Akasa AK-P085FG-BK 850W
Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 320GB
OCZ 4GB PC2-6400C5 Dual Channel DDR2
NZXT Guardian 921
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6
  Print  

Jump to: